Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:35:24 +0300

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 16:34:27 -0700
"Adrian Alves" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello FSF,
>
> We are Puri.sm our gnu/linux  PureOS is a free based debian distro,
> can you guys review it.
> We not only use Free software without any "contrib" or "non-free"
> software also our kernel is deblob'd
> We offer PureOS together with our laptops and also to any people who
> wants to use it:
>
> links
> our main website:
> https://puri.sm/
> our Pureos webtiste:
> https://puri.sm/pureos/
> ISOs:
> http://repo.puri.sm/pureosrepo/iso/PureOS-3.0-Desktop-gnome.iso
>
> also "contrib" and "nonfree" repo are not only removed from the ISO
> also they are removed from our repos
>
> Please can you review it and let us know?
> Thanks, Adrian.-

Just a thought:

gNewSense is based on Debian too, and it seems to do much much more work than
just drop the nonfree repos (same for Trisquel with its base distro ubun7u). I
don't know the details, but I do wonder whether just dropping repos and using a
libre kernel is enough. Maybe it is, and then I wonder why gNewSense does all
that other work. If that work is needed, you puri.sm people should probably do
the same thing...

Or just give Trisquel to your users, which is a great stable distro and I think
it's an excellent default for new people joining the free software community
and taking the GNU path.

--fr33