Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Julie Marchant
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 11:31:16 -0400

I don't know whether or not PureOS is libre, but I just want to suggest that
anyone investigating this question be extra thorough. Purism has a history of
making promises they couldn't keep (namely the promise of making the "librem"
laptop respect your freedom, something which is literally impossible) and using
deceptive marketing, such as this absurd graph:

https://archive.is/HBDm3

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I can't help but wonder why Purism felt the
need to fork Trisquel. The only possible reasons I can think of are to add
proprietary drivers, or as yet another deceptive marketing gimmick. And I
couldn't help but notice one of the Linux Action Show people mentioning that
the "librem" laptop's touchpad didn't work as well on any other distro he
tried, including the then-latest Ubuntu, as it did on PureOS. I can't imagine
why this would be the case if PureOS is libre.

--
Julie