[GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1927317] Uruk GNU/LINUX

From: Therese Godefroy via RT
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1927317] Uruk GNU/LINUX
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:32:22 -0400

Le Dim 12 Mar 2023 08:42:23, bill-auger a écrit :
> On Sun Mar 12 07:22:36 2023, godef.th@free.fr wrote:
> > The manpower-shortage excuse can go just so far. Beyond a certain
> > point, delays are interpreted as unwillingness to do the job.
>
> it can go indefinitely when that power is zero - AFAIK, that is the
> current situation

Did you try to understand why this is the current situation?

> the first stage of the evaluation is done by the community - as the
> incoming distros page says, after the distro maintainers request
> evaluation, someone from the community must first volunteer to lead
> the evaluation, then others need to volunteer to evaluate and discuss
> it
>
> you could say that the community is unwilling to do the job; but that
> just how it goes with volunteer work - libertybsd and freenix could
> have been endorsed since then - those, i would consider to be delays,
> beyond the point of reasonable expectations

No, I wouldn't say the community is unwilling to do the job. They
did evaluate LibertyBSD and Freenix. According to the wiki,
LibertyBSD doesn't comply with the FSDG, and Freenix is ready for
FSF endorsement. This is where the block lies.

If the FSF doesn't have the manpower to do the endorsement, I think
it should change the procedure. The current workflow only serves to
demotivate the gnu-linux-libre people. They probably know more about
distros than anybody in the Licensing team, and I don't understand
why they are not in charge of endorsement as well as evaluation.

But if the real reason of the block is that the FSF is unwilling to
endorse any more distros, they should clearly say so in
free-distros.html, free-system-distribution-guidelines.html, and
on the wiki. Maybe write a post to explain why.