[GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1927317] Uruk GNU/LINUX

From: Therese Godefroy via RT
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1927317] Uruk GNU/LINUX
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 08:09:23 -0400

Le Ven 17 Mar 2023 11:21:09, bugs@gnu.support a écrit :
[...]
> Recommendation
> --------------
[...]
> Form a new group of people who are loyal to free software principle,
> and I recommend those people who are already managing free software
> distributions, and who are actively participating.
>
> Call that group somehow, like "Free Software System Distribution Council",
> and set up policies, you can and should use same policies as setup by
> the FSF, do not split away from free software principles.
>
> Setup policies how to rapidly resolve the pending cases.
>
> Let that group endorse Uruk and other free software system
> distributions.
>
> Let FSF decide if to accept recommendation from "Free Software System
> Distribution Council" by the pace how they think is alright, however,
> keep endorsing truly free software distributions by using the new
> group, the Council (or call it however you wish) that works
> independently by using FSF policies, and has time and willingness to
> handle those issues.
>
> --
> Jean

Hello Jean, all,

I can see a problem with these recommendations: the only thing that
tells the public that a distro follows the FSDG is the list of free
distros [0], which is maintained by the FSF Licensing Team. But
numerous threads on gnu-linux-libre show that we cannot count on
Licensing to endorse new distros. Its priorities are elsewhere. So
I think the FSF needs to delegate the _whole process_ to a group of
volunteers (the Free Software System Distribution Council or whatever
you call it), including the maintenance of free-distros.html.
Licensing would only be involved if there is a doubt about a specific
license.

[0] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html