Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review of uruk

From: tct
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review of uruk
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 11:24:56 +0200

La 23.03.2023 21:41, bill-auger a scris:
setting aside discussion of the FSF's role in this, new distros
are not going to be reviewed without community participation

far be it from me to only complain about a problem, without
offering to help solve it - over the previous thread, i did not
see anyone step forward and volunteer to review uruk

it would be hypocritical for the work-group to also be idle, in
this time when the FSF is under-staffed

the work-group has clearly lost a good deal of momentum in the
past years; so the most pertinent topic to discuss at this time,
is: could we accomplish this now? - are there any volunteers?

It's laudable the effort being put into maintaining a candidate such as Uruk for the list of free GNU/Linux distributions.

After a quick glance of the Uruk website, technologies such as Docker, SourceForge, GitHub and CloudIDE invites to take a closer look:

https://www.urukproject.org/dist/en.html#docker
https://sourceforge.net/projects/urukos/files/3.0
https://blog.urukproject.org/fr/index.php/posts/uruk-cloudide
https://github.com/azzenabidi/UrukCloudIDE

While testing the Uruk 3.0 Live image, I've noticed that Firefox ESR is the default browser.

I tried to make an account in the bug tracker to report this freedom issue, but I didn't receive the confirmation e-mail:

https://urukproject.org//bt/login_page.php

The problem is that Firefox offers to install the non-free DRM plugin and add-ons from the Mozilla catalogue, many of them being proprietary and promoted on the main page such as: Video DownloadHelper, Enhancer for YouTube, and ImTranslator.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Perhaps Uruk has changed the upstream distro since the FSF evaluation, and a new evaluation is required, or perhaps the upstream distro has changed its policy. It seems that Firefox ESR is packaged by PureOS:

Package: firefox-esr
Version: 91.13.0esr-1~deb11u1
Installed-Size: 212318
Maintainer: Maintainers of Mozilla-related packages <team+pkg-mozilla@tracker.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
http://repo.pureos.net/pureos/dists/byzantium/main/binary-amd64/Packages.xz

And Uruk uses the PureOS repository as its main one:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb https://repo.pureos.net/pureos/ byzantium main
deb http://packages.urukproject.org nannar main

I hope this helps and that the freedom issues can be confirmed and fixed.

Thanks,
--
tct