Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice andthestatementofcopying pe

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice andthestatementofcopying permission not being included in all thesourcefiles of aproduct.
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:38:34 +0100

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 15:30 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> [...]
> >  How such an idiotic comparison can even start to be used is what I fail
> > to understand.
>
> That doesn't surprise me.
>
> >                The GNU GPL is about making absolutely sure that everyone
> > has _at_the_very_least_ 4 fundamental freedoms.
>
> Yeah. Hint: "freedom FROM".

It's not "from" it's "to".

  0. to run the program for any purpose
  1. to study and adapt as needed
  2. to distribute copies
  3. to publish improved versions

This is quite a (mathematical) base for the universe of software freedom
to users.

Licenses like the GPL ensure that we're dealing with a ring(?) on this
universe.

In a view that I share with many others, no one should ever be
restricted from these freedoms, it is immoral to do it.

Rui