Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: telford
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 05:02:30 -0000

Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> telford@xenon.triode.net.au wrote:
>>
>> GPL does not force you to distribute, you are allowed to keep your
>> modifications secret and unpublished provided you do not distribute.

> I know that.

Then you know that GPL and "grant back" are different animals.

> FSF doesn't care as long as you don't want to compete
> with free softare in the "add-on" market.

The FSF welcomes competition, they do not welcome the redistribution
of their code under an alternative license scheme. Strangely enough,
Microsoft, Apple, Sun, Oracle and just about everyone else in the
industry (except BSD) do not welcome redistribution of their code under
an alternative license scheme. I guess you could say that the GPL
confirms to industry standards in this respect.

> FSF's goal is the complete elimination of software market.

Incorrect. The FSF's goal is to modify the software market to lower
IP related barriers to entry and to enforce a minimum standard of
end-user rights. This may be incompatible with your chosen business
model but the idea of a free market is that every business model gets
a chance and market sorts out the best.

> Software == Public Goods. I pay
> enough taxes, thank you.

You are being deliberately dishonest. No one is forced to release
their work under GPL. If you don't like it then don't use it, have
a try with Microsoft if that is what you want. Release you own work
under any license you like, just don't expect other people to hand
you THEIR work unless you abide by THEIR license.

        - Tel