Re: Why are software patents wrong?

From: mlw
Subject: Re: Why are software patents wrong?
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 03:40:03 GMT

threeseas wrote:

> Two catagories of answers:
>
> symptoms and cause
>
> or from the other direction:
>
> cause and effect.
>
> Seems to me many have found arguement against software patents that only
> deal with the symptoms or effect of software patents, rather then the
> more fundamental underlying reasons why software doesn't qualify for
> patent status.
>
> So how about it?
>
> why do you think software should not be patentable? and is your answer
> cause or effect?

Software patents are wrong because they are usually the outcome of an
obvious progression. In the last 10 years, there are no software patents
about algorithms that are pure and without the support of modern
convention.

When a software patent talks about "one click,"  it is a fairly obvious
approach. The choices are single click or double click. DUH!? That is not
valid. Software patents that embody 15 minutes of ingenuity built upon 45
years of invention are bogus.