Re: GPL and inhouse use?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPL and inhouse use?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:06:39 -0500

Eric writes:
> so its basically "if i modify any gpl'd code I must give away my changes
> whether or not i keep it 'in-house' "?

No.

> Wow, if i have that right...

You don't.  If you do not distribute your modified GPLd code you are not
required to show the source to anyone.  Read the GPL.  It's quite clear.

> In your example, you left out that your competitor who makes the same
> embedded product, just took your 2 years of development efforts and got
> them for free while you spent all the up front costs in programmers,
> computers, etc to develop it no thanks to him and now you have to just
> give it to him? No Way!

I guess that explains why there are not zillions of embedded systems
companies using Linux and contributing their changes back.  Oh.  Wait...

BTW if you are selling an embedded product you are _not_ keeping your
changes in house.  You are distributing and must comply with the GPL.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org