Re: Combining GPL and commercial license

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Combining GPL and commercial license
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:12:07 +0200

John Hasler wrote:
[...]
> Read the licenses on the libraries you are linking to.  Libtiff4 isn't
> under the GPL at all.  It is distributed under a BSD-like license.

OP mentioned xpdf, uncle Hasler.

http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/about.html

------
Distribution conditions

Xpdf is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2.
In my opinion, the GPL is a convoluted, confusing, ambiguous mess. But
it's also pervasive, and I'm sick of arguing. And even if it is
confusing, the basic idea is good.

In order to cut down on the confusion a little bit, here are some
informal clarifications:

    * I don't mind if you redistribute xpdf in source and/or binary
form, as long as you include all of the documentation: README, man pages
(or help files), and COPYING. (Note that the README file contains a
pointer to a web page with the source code.)
    * Selling a CD-ROM that contains xpdf is fine with me, as long as it
includes the documentation. I wouldn't mind receiving a sample copy, but
it's not necessary.
    * If you make useful changes to xpdf, please make the source code
available -- post it on a web site, email it to me, whatever.

If you're interested in commercial licensing, please see the Glyph & Cog
web site.
------

He he.