Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Installation Information"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Installation Information"
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:22:23 +0200

Installation Information

In our earlier drafts we devoted much care to devising a detailed
technical definition of the cryptographic information that would
enable GPL licensees to install functioning modified versions,
without affecting legitimate uses of encryption. The result was a
provision that some found too complex and difficult to understand,
while others continued to raise concerns about overinclusion. In
fact, the complexity and its resultant problems were never
necessary, since our underlying goal was quite simple.

In Draft 3 we instead use a definition of “Installation
Information” in section 6 that is as simple and clear as that goal.
Installation Information is information that is “required to
install and execute modified versions of a covered work . . . from
a modified version of its Corresponding Source,” in the same User
Product for which the covered work is conveyed. We provide guidance
concerning how much information must be provided: it “must suffice
to ensure that the continued functioning of the modified object
code is in no case prevented or interfered with solely because
modification has been made.” For example, the information provided
would be insufficient if it enabled a modified version to run only
in a disabled fashion, solely because of the fact of modification
(regardless of the actual nature of the modification). The
information need not consist of cryptographic keys; Installation
Information may be “any methods, procedures, authorization keys,
or other information.”
------

"FORM 990, PART II, LINE 25 - OFFICER COMPENSATION SCHEDULE
                                         PROGRAM  MANAGMENT
 OFFICER NAME AND TYPE OF COMPENSATION  SERVICES  AND GENERAL

 EBEN MOGLEN
    COMPENSATION:                        116,875.     38,959."

                          -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.