Re: Right to copy source code

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Right to copy source code
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:37:40 +0200

cold80 wrote:

> Sorry if maybe my question could be silly, but I don't know a lot
> about licences...I found a .NET library that is realeased under the
> GPL licence. So I have the source code. Now I'm developing a software
> and I would like to use part of this library. I would like to copy
> the
> source code that I need to my project and compile it. So I'm not
> linking the library, I would like to embeed the code in my program.
> What am I supposed to do? Should I release my program under the GPL
> license too? I would like to release it for free, but not with the
> source code, can I do it this way?

Your "program" is merely an aggregation ("collective work" at most
if selection is creative enough) of multiple computer program works.
In GNUtian speak, it's "mere aggregation". The GPL'd works remain
under the GPL and you must provide access to its source code. All
other aggregated works (and "collective work" itself) fall under
separate and independent copyright. It's entirely up to you whether
to provide access to your source code and how to license it (if at
all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgezxJJa6aU