Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal

From: Ezekiel
Subject: Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:11:58 -0400

"Rick" <none@nomail.com> wrote in message
7K-dnU6_m7mnSM_VnZ2dnUVZ_oHinZ2d@supernews.com">news:7K-dnU6_m7mnSM_VnZ2dnUVZ_oHinZ2d@supernews.com...
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:26:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
> (snip)
>> The patents don't protect the "community" - it only protects Redhat
>> customers. From your very own link:
>>
>> <http://www.itnews.com.au/News/78210,red-hat-settles-hibernate-patent-
> suits.aspx>
>>
>> [quote]
>> Red Hat claims that the terms of the settlement will offer broad
>> protection for upstream developers, downstream distributors and Red
>> Hat's customers.
>>
>> "We wanted broad provisions that covered OUR CUSTOMERS, who place trust
>> in us, and the open source community, whose considerable efforts benefit
>> our business," said a statement from Red Hat's in-house lawyer Rob
>> Tiller. [/quote]
>
> "We wanted broad provisions that covered OUR CUSTOMERS, who place trust
> in us, and the open source community",
>
> ... covered our customers and the open source community.

That's a nice "sound bite" but it means absolutely nothing. It's the exact
same deal that Novell has. No difference. And if it's so good and great for
the open source community then why isn't the open source community
embracing this wonderful deal? Why are they up in arms over this and upset
with Ubuntu?

>> If someone isn't a paying Redhat customer then they get ZERO protection.
>> Quite hypocritical because Redhat screamed bloody murder when Novell
>> signed what is effectively the exact same deal with Microsoft.
>>

> (snip)
>
> I have given you other resources that say the settlement protects RH
> customers .. and the OSS community.

Your "resource" is nothing but a "feel good" statement that some mouth
piece from Redhat used in a press release in a attempt to difuse the
situation. The fact is that this is exactly the same deal as what Novell
has. There is no difference. None.