Re: Artifex v. Diebold: "The GPL is non-commercial!"

From: ZnU
Subject: Re: Artifex v. Diebold: "The GPL is non-commercial!"
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:00:16 -0500

In article <Hshil.3427$Pm6.2163@newsfe08.iad>,
 Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote:

> Rjack wrote:
> > Anyone who conveys copies of covered works is not bound by
> > the GPL's voidable terms and has a perfect defense of estoppel.
>
> You're welcome to try this. How about making a version of GCC with
> a proprietary addition? Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

I don't see any fundamental logical flaw in the argument that allows
this.

Let's say I want to create a commercial product based on GCC, and not
distribute source. I form two corporations. Corporation A takes the GCC
source, modifies it, and builds binaries. It then produces a million CDs
containing these binaries, drops them in a box with a single CD
containing source code, and delivers them to Company B. Company B throws
the CD containing the source in the trash, and sells the million discs
containing the binaries.

Company A hasn't violated the GPL because it made source available to
all of the entities it distributed binaries to (namely, Company B).
Company B hasn't violated the GPL because it never accepted the GPL; its
resale of those discs was allowed under the first sale doctrine.

This clearly violates the spirit of the GPL. But ruling against it
would, as far as I can see, require a judge to abandon one of the
following: a) the first sale doctrine, b) the principle that
corporations are legally separate entities, or c) the principle that
contracts can't bind third-parties.

--
"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them
‹ that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer