Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale

From: Tim Jackson
Subject: Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 03:15:50 +0100

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 20:36:36 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote...

> The distribution right comes by statute as addition to the granted
> reproduction right / right to prepare derivative works.

I'm not sure if this is a source of confusion here, but please remember
that the reproduction right and the distribution right are both
exclusive statutory rights which belong to the copyright holder.  They
allow him to *prevent* reproduction and distribution respectively.

Since the copyright holder has the exclusive rights to prevent
reproduction and distribution, it then follows that he can choose not to
exercise those rights.  He can allow other people to reproduce and/or
distribute the work, subject to such conditions as he may decide.

--
Tim Jackson
news@timjackson.invalid