Re: A summary of some open discussions

From: Marcel
Subject: Re: A summary of some open discussions
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 19:07:36 +0700

On 1/23/20 5:10 PM, nylxs wrote:> On 1/23/20 12:47 AM, Siddhesh
Poyarekar wrote:
>> That's where the meat of the issue is for me.  This is no different from
>> a large tech company wanting to keep tight control over projects they
>> may have spawned, sometimes at the detriment of the project, only
>> because they don't trust the community to keep true to their goals.

This is a false equivalence. The fact that volunteers are not in charge
of the decisions doesn't make GNU "no different from a large tech company."

> Yeah so?
>
> GNU is not some communist manifesto that some like to think it is.  In
> fact, it is the opposite.  Its goal is to assure the freedom of
> individual entitlement to protect the basic freedoms that drive healthy
> capitialist market economies, not to mention sceintific discover, and
> social welfare as a whole.  Accusing it of being like a large tech
> company is positively naive.  Of COURSE it is like a giant tech company.
>  It might well be the grandaddy of all tech compaines.
>
> And for what it is worth, so are political parties in representive
> governments.  They are invairably grinding machines.

Another argument riddled with logical fallacies and personal political
interpretations.

Different people, it seems, look at GNU through their own particular
ideological filters and see what they'd like to see, reflected back at
them.

Nothing wrong with that, except that for some of you it seems to be a
prerequisite for all others to think alike.

GNU is an organization with a chief GNUisence at the helm, RMS. It
didn't have to be that way, but it is that way. It doesn't always have
to be that way, but it is not up to the volunteers to forcefully make it
another way.

Saludos libres,

Marcel

--