Re: I suspect that there is no such thing as a "GNU Social Contract"

From: Carlos O'Donell
Subject: Re: I suspect that there is no such thing as a "GNU Social Contract"
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 16:38:43 -0500

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:49 AM J.B. Nicholson <jbn@forestfield.org> wrote:
> gnu.tools' current domain registrar (namecheap.com)[1] is not the same as
> gnu.org's
> current domain registrar[2] (gandi.net). gnu.tools' owner is not publicly
> listed in
> whois but gnu.org's organizational owner is publicly listed in whois. If I
> were keen
> to agree to Courtès' proposal I'd wonder why the gnu.tools domain exists, if
> GNU
> needs a wiki for the project why not host that wiki on wiki.gnu.org, and
> where one
> could get official word from the GNU Project leader (which remains rms) on
> which
> domains are owned by the GNU Project (certainly one would expect gnu.org to
> be in
> that set of domains but not necessarily gnu.tools).

The gnu.tools domain is not owned by the GNU Project.

The domain is setup by GNU Maintainers for other GNU Maintainers.

I helped setup wiki.gnu.tools. If you have any questions please don't
hesitate to ask.

I am a GNU Maintainer for the GNU C Library.

I have been working on the GNU C Library project for 17 years.

I am one of the trustees of the GNU Toolchain Fund, a Working Together
Fund with the FSF.

When an informal poll was taken on the private internal mailing list
of the GNU Project over a dozen maintainers requested a wiki.

Such a wiki was not provided, so myself and other GNU Maintainers took
it upon ourselves to build a wiki we would want to use.

The wiki is free to use for all GNU Maintainers. I would like to open
the wiki up further for others to use, but for now we're taking small
steps.

> These differences suggest to me that one should be wary of what one finds on
> gnu.tools.

Privacy of whois information is important to avoid abuse.

Cheers,
Carlos.