Re: Let's discuss these guys - Dfinity

From: gary
Subject: Re: Let's discuss these guys - Dfinity
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:20:35 +0000

While a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin has no middleman that takes some of the
profits in a transaction, some amount that you pay (which is often quite
expensive these days) is a fee that goes to paying people who are supporting
the network by mining.

With blockchain tech, one of the biggest theoretically advantages of it is that
it can only fail if everyone stops supporting it (or if a vulnerability that
compromises the network is found, but there's no high-profile examples of this
ever happening; there's other theoretical but unproven methods of compromising
a network as well). If a currency or a government fails, such as with
hyperinflation, you could lose all of your money, but as long as people use
bitcoin and the network doesn't fail, it is generally safe from a total
collapse in value in a way that no centralized currency like USD is. As a
possible example of this, I believe the recent surge in Bitcoin's price is in
part caused by the inflation of the US dollar that many people are expecting to
happen as a result of COVID-19.

Never heard of Holochain before, but it sounds like an interesting project as
well.