Re: libguile.so.9 problem

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: libguile.so.9 problem
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:40:45 +0200

> > address@hidden writes:
> >> Hello all!
> >>
> >> After installing Lilypond 1.4.2 in Caldera eDesktop 2.4 I get this when I
> > try
> >> to run it:
> >>
> >> lilypond: error in loading shared libraries: libguile.so.9: cannot open
> >> shared object file: No such file or directory
> >>
> >> Can someone inform me why this is?
> >> I know that libguile.so.9.0.0 is in /usr/local/lib and there is a symbolic
> >> link libguile.so.9
> >>

> > sorry for the delay, but are you sure that /usr/local/lib is in the
> > library path? Check /etc/ld.so.conf and the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
>   Really, you shouldn't have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> /etc/ld.so.conf.  If you set LD_RUN_PATH during compilation (for
> Solaris and Linux; other variables for other systems), and/or the -R
> optionm then the executable will have the proper search path embedded
> in it.
>
>   Check out http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html and
> http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/user_guide/faq/ld_lib_path.html.
>
>   I might submit a patch for this in the next few days, depending on
> how much time I have.

As long as you install Guile using a RPM, it would end up
in /usr/lib/, right? Isn't the real problem here that the
Lilypond RPM was built on a mashine with Guile in /usr/lib/
but was installed on a machine with Guile (and possible
other useful utilities) in /usr/local/lib/ without having
having /usr/local/lib/ in /etc/ld.so.conf.
You can never help that situation using LD_RUN_PATH.

  /Mats