Re: libguile.so.9 problem

From: J. David Blackstone
Subject: Re: libguile.so.9 problem
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:21:46 -0500

> As long as you install Guile using a RPM, it would end up
> in /usr/lib/, right? Isn't the real problem here that the
> Lilypond RPM was built on a mashine with Guile in /usr/lib/
> but was installed on a machine with Guile (and possible
> other useful utilities) in /usr/local/lib/ without having
> having /usr/local/lib/ in /etc/ld.so.conf.
> You can never help that situation using LD_RUN_PATH.

  Yes, LD_RUN_PATH only changes things during compilation.  It causes
the search path for shared libraries to be compiled into the
executable itself.  (Technically, we're talking about the link stage,
not compiling, but you know what I mean.)

  So, yes, if you built the executable on a different machine with
libraries in different places, you will have problems when you try to
move it.  But the Makefile can specify that the location where
libguile.so was found can be added to LD_RUN_PATH (or -R) during
compilation, which will prevent the problem from occurring when
lilypond is used on the same machine where it was compiled.

  One of the links I mentioned before claims that /etc/ld.so.conf is
not much of a better solution than LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I thought that
document was very good; it really helped me understand a lot.

jdb