Re: lily 1.4.3

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: lily 1.4.3
Date: 18 Jun 2001 10:21:10 +0200

"William R. Brohinksy" <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, I apologize. I'm sure at least 10 of these downloads were mine, and
> although I have made an attempt at getting assistance, I can't begin to
> claim that I understand what's going on well enough to formulate a good
> bug report.

Sorry to hear that.  I had silent hopes that those downloads were from
people that didn't have problems.  Still, you're sending a nice
report, with full paths and error output; that's good.

> The result is a popup-information box, which tells me this:
> (contents) The dynamic link library python15.dll could not be found in
> the specified path
[..]
> but there is no python15.dll to be found. (I suspect this is a bug?)

There is no python15.dll in the LilyPond python tarball that gets
installed; maybe it was left out by mistake.  I'll look into this
tonight.

> I have a solution: use the cygwin install to install Python 2.1-1. I
> know (from prior experience) that this will give me enough Python that
> the dll will be there.

Ah, python from cygwin; we have been waiting for that.  This may make
certain things a lot easier; but it hasn't been tested.  So, trying to
get this to work may be more trouble.

> Doing this and then running ly2dvi again produces this result:
[..]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.3\bin\ly2dvi.py", line 760, in ?

That's strange; cygwin's python uses DOS style paths?  Hmm, in that
case it may not bring us much.

> This one befuddles me greately, because doing an ls of my home directory
> (where all this has supposedly taken palce) yeilds no sign of the .tex
> nor the .midi files that are claimed to have been created.

Yes, you should bug Han-Wen for this; I included arrangements in
ly2dvi to do fix, but they hampered debugging of the python script and
were thus removed by our great dictator :-(

> If I now run lilypond itself on the example file
> address@hidden ~$ lilypond example-1.ly
> address@hidden ~$ ls
> example-1.ly  example-1.midi  example-1.tex
>
> which befuddles me more.

Ok good, lilypond works, that's the first step.

> Is there something in ly2dvi that deletes these files after an
> unsuccessful run of latex?

Yes; they're generated in a temp directory, and not copied when ly2dvi
crashes.

> I apparently lack the expertise as yet to run latex and tex, since
> trying either gets a [la]tex.exe not found. I'm working on that.

Ah; and that's the reason that ly2dvi fails now.  Those executables
are installed from LilyPond's miktex package, in:

    /usr/windows/MiKTeX/miktex/bin/tex.exe
    /usr/windows/MiKTeX/miktex/bin/latex.exe

Quite strange that this doesn't work.  Please check if they're there,
and otherwise just try to reinstall miktex from setup.exe.

> Part of the reason I could download setup.exe so many times and not
> file a bug report, by the way, is that I've had different failures
> practically each time. My first install (as user raybro, rather than
> Administrator, installed 'for me') stuck me in a home dir named
> /home/500. However, everything 'seemed to work'.

Hmm.

> I could run ly2dvi -P and get a .ps file (and a .dvi) and the .ps
> would have no noteheads, clef or time signatures, or barlines.

Which means that python didn't miss a dll, latex was installed
correctly; but the fonts couldn't be generated.  That was 'expected
behaviour' for releases before 1.4.3, as we now know.

> Anyway, his suggestions didn't work out, because, apparently, the
> problem was in producing pk files, and following his suggestions didn't
> cure it.

Hopefully, this should be fixed with 1.4.3, if you get miktex
installed correctly.

> I apologize for the slightly strained tenor to this post

No need to apologize, we've seen worse :-)  Anyway, I'm convinced that
we can get this to work.  When the WikiWiki is back online, we should
try to add some of your post/problems to the TroubleshootingWindows
page.

Jan.