Re: Lily and petrucci (whaddapair!)

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Lily and petrucci (whaddapair!)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 18:28:38 +0200

> The current
> lozenge-heads just seem too small and insubstantial unless you use
> paper26, and frankly, having a 2-page 16-point  modern notation piece
> grow to 4 pages at 26 really isn't good. Also, they are _quite_ square!

As far as I know, the mensural noteheads currently use 45 degree sides,
resulting in a square shape (45+45=90, 45+45=90).  The mensural fa clef
(that one consisting of square noteheads) uses 35 degree sides,
resulting in a rhombic (35+35=70, 55+55=110) form.  Is that what you
are looking for?

> ... Odhecaton and Canti B and C ...

I could not find these specific examples (is there an excerpt somewhere
in the MGG?), but I had a look at various other of Petrucci's printings
in the MGG.  Looks to me, that the C clef has a slightly longer stem
at its left side.  The G clef looks quite different than what we
currently have, but there seems to be no real consensus about the
shape of the G clef at that time.  Lily's current G clef tries to
make some compromise between the various G clefs.  Any help to
improve the clefs and/or add new styles is appreciated! :-)

> \property Voice.Stem \override #'stem-centered = ##t
> saying that it has no idea what stem-centered is. However, it does print
> centered stems!

Seems this property has been obsoleted (Han-Wen/Jan?).

Greetings,
           Juergen