Re: Refman

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Refman
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 21:52:25 -0400

David Symonds wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2001, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>
> > Thanks for explaining.  Cdim7 (== Co) should be <c es ges beses> right?
> > I don't have Banter namings at hand here, what would <c es ges bes> be
> > called (other than Co/)?
>
> Cdim = <c es ges> [diminished]
> C7 = <c e g bes>
> Cmin7 = <c es g bes>
> Chd7 = <c es ges bes> [half-diminished 7th]
> Cdim7 = <c es ges beses> [diminished 7th]
>
> Hope this clears up any confusion (assuming I got it right!).

You didn't.

Walter Piston is responsible for the half-diminished seventh.
It's still a bad idea.  What is a half-diminished 5th?  Much
better is leading tone 7th, Clt7, the kind of 7th chord built on
the 7th degree of a major scale.  But both are totally
unacceptable because they are totally nonstandard.  It has to be
Cm7(b5), period.  Ugly, but unsurprising, and the right root.
What is all this inventing new chord symbols?  I hate that.  The
minuses and plusses are plenty bad enough.  :-)

--
||/ Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings! ||
|-K ars sine scientia nihil                address@hidden ||