Re: (no subject)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:37:52 -0400

Juergen Reuter wrote:

> > Is it:
> >        "The software runs/works only on Linux."
> > or:
> >        "The software runs/works only under Linux."
>
> Though I am not a native English speaker, I think this can be thought of
> as an abbreviation for:
>
>          "The software runs/works only on top of a Linux OS."
> or:
>          "The software runs/works only under control of a Linux OS."
>
> Both seem possible to me, but, personally, I would prefer the second
> form.
>
> Regards,
>           Juergen

Exactly right!  I'm impressed.

=====================
Somebody told me that: "I'm afraid, it won't work.", is a synonyme
for "I'm sure, it won't work.". That's surpising for a German
because I'd guess it means "I'm in doubt whether it will work." ?
Neither view is correct.  It means "I'm sorry it won't work."  It
is just a rather superficial expression of sympathy.  It could be
said with sarcasm to mean the opposite.  As to doubt, again it
depends on how it is said.  In print, it is ambiguous as to doubt.

--
||/ Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings! ||
|-K ars sine scientia nihil                address@hidden ||