Re: difficulties with 1.4.5/cygwin

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: difficulties with 1.4.5/cygwin
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:01:35 +0200

> Heyla!
>
> When I got back from vacation, I was also disemployed by the company
> I've been working for. This engendered musical computers, and I returned
> all my lilypond work to my home computer.
>
> To do this, I completely removed all vestiges of old cygwin
> installations (I'd never put lilypond on this one, nor miktex) and wiped
> old ghostscript stuff.
>
> Then I downloaded the lilypond dist for 1.4.5 with sources, and
> installed it.
>
> I was pleased to see that many things have been fixed that had survived
> a few version increments, but was really sad that ly2dvi doesn't work
> now. Specifically, when I invoke ly2dvi, I get the following error
> messages (this is on win2000):
>
> address@hidden ~$ ly2dvi example-1.ly
>
> Running LilyPond...
> error: sh: command exited with value -1
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.5\bin\ly2dvi.py", line 782, in ?
>     run_lilypond (files, outbase, dep_prefix)
>   File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.5\bin\ly2dvi.py", line 390, in
> run_lilypond
>     system ('lilypond %s %s ' % (opts, fs))
>   File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.5\bin\ly2dvi.py", line 314, in system
>     error (msg)
>   File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.5\bin\ly2dvi.py", line 207, in error
>     raise _ ("Exiting ... ")
> Exiting ...
>
> By running with the verbose flag turned on, I can determine that the
> command string used is:
>
> address@hidden ~$ ly2dvi -V example-1.ly
>
> Invoking `sh -c 'lilypond  -I C:\\\cygwin\\\home\\\Administrator -H
> dedication -H title -H subtitle -H subsubtitle -H footer -H head -H
> composer -H arranger -H instrument -H opus -H piece -H metre -H meter -H
> poet -H texttranslator -H language -H linewidth -H latexpackages -H
> latexoptions -H latexheaders -H orientation -H pagenumber -H textheight
> -H papersize --verbose C:\\\cygwin\\\home\\\Administrator\\\example-1 ''
> error: sh: command exited with value -1...
>
> The frustrating part is that, if I copy the "Invoking '" line without
> the surrounding quotes and the word 'invoking', paste it on the command
> line and hit return... it runs. Of course, this doesn't do all the setup
> that ly2dvi is supposed to, so none of the -H <name> stuff works, and I
> get output identical to running lilypond without the ly2dvi wrapper.
>
> For some reason, sh is returning -1 when ly2dvi sets stuff up. Since no
> one else has complained (or did I miss it?) it is probably another one
> of those things related to a virgin install.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?

This looks really weird! I tried 1.4.5 on my Windows 95
installation and I didn't experience any similar problems.
I'm sure you have tried several examples, including
examples from /usr/lilypond-1.4.5/input/*/* so it's not a
problem with your specific file. Actually, I didn't do a
virgin install but used, an old MikTeX installation, but
the rest of the programs should be up to date.

I noticed one severe problem, though, for examples that
use the Computer Modern font with other sizes or shapes than
cmr10. Lilypond isn't able to find the tfm files in the
MiKTeX directory tree and there is no mktextfm available
to generate possibly missing sizes. Maybe this works if
you install the MiKTeX version from www.lilypond.org, but
I doubt is since the default search path in the kpathsea
library is .:{/usr/share/texmf/fonts,/var/tmp/texfonts}/tfm//
How is this supposed to work in the Windows installation?
The old installer by Jeffrey Reed included a directory
share/lilypond/cmtfm/ with all the tfm files, I don't
know if there's any better way unless we can find a way
to ask MiKTeX to generate tfm files on the fly.

   /Mats