gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] 3D file formats

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] 3D file formats
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:50:46 +0200

On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 04:00 AM, Matt Brandt wrote:
On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 02:01 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
I agree that a database should mainly be used to serve as a clean import/export interface. But I can imagine some sort of optimisations which can be done on that level, ie. when optimising for a specific target rendering device.

What do you mean by 'named nodes'? You already can name G3DGraphNodes, can't you?

Probably, you'll have to forgive my lack of fluency in the current design. I'm thinking of a facility to attach a name to a scene during import so that it can be used multiple times. It doesn't have to be symbolic, but that seems the most general case. If such a facility already exists then all the better...

You can set a name via setName: on all graph nodes. But of course application writers are free to use whatever mechanism they want.

I lean toward doing a protocol for a reader/writer and then implementing the file formats separately without an intermediate format.

My first design proposal is more influenced by the NSImageRep class cluster, thus every concrete reader/writer is a subclass of the G3DDatabase but has to implement only the scene format specific code.

I think the NSImageRep cluster is a pretty good model to go with. How about "G3DSceneRep" instead of "G3DDatabase" to make the model and purpose clearer?

I thought about it too, but I am not yet convinced, because it is not exactly the same thing. but I am not too religious about this ...:-)

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip