Re: [Gnue] What is EDIFACT GL

From: vio
Subject: Re: [Gnue] What is EDIFACT GL
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:25:04 -0400

Todd Boyle wrote:

> Zack Coffin (XBRL Liaison) said,
> >
> > Frankly... we are at the early stages of working on XBRL G/L.  So, in
> > short, we don't have any answers for you.  It's a work in progress.
> > That said, I am particularly keen on leveraging the very good work of
> > EDIFACT G/L in Europe, and we are pursuing this angle as a starting
> > point.
>
> The EDIFACT GL messages are certainly a puzzle.  There is nothing
> on the internet that explains them in plain english-- no tutorials,
> no context, etc.   Whatever exists is aimed TOTALLY at the EDI
> community.  In other words, all documentation says "Dear EDI person
> who already knows EDI:  Here is a message format for sending GL
> transactions.  Good Bye."
>
> . . .

Pardon my EDI newbie status, but how wise is it to build anything based on EDI
in the first place ? My understanding is that EDI is currently a sinking ship,
who for whatever reasons can't stand the coming XML titlewave. Leveraging
existing EDI know-how would make sense mostly for those with assets in EDI
technology (consultants, etc.). But for the rest/most of us, wouldn't EDI
"leverage" also risk importing its shortcomings (... which brought EDI to the
current "abandon ship" situation against XML: if EDI was that good, we wouldn't
have this debate in the first place, XML would be just an other solution in
search of a problem, and XBRL would just be some consultant's bad dream). So
you invested millions in EDI and now can't let go. Too bad.

IMHO,
vio