Re: GLR, GLT, and the memory array GL

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: GLR, GLT, and the memory array GL
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:42:54 -0500 (CDT)

Todd,

Enclosed are some comments. :)

> 1. supporting disparate applications is important, and would serve
> hundreds of times more users than GNUE itself.

Statements like this are confusing to developers.  They are vague in
nature and smell of management speak most developers run from.  I would
suggest a little word smithing here.

Define disparate application.  Give SHORT CONSCISE examples of how it
better servers other things.

I think GNUe is about as disparate as you can get as its a TOOL not a
system.  Granted we will create apps with it, but its very nature is
designed to accomadate a variety of standards and industry types.

Perhaps you can explain how GNUe is not accomodating this?

> 2.some division between a GLT and GLR is essential to support
>disparate applications, and

Agree.  I see transactional and informational systems as two separate
pieces.  Both will be incorporated into GNUe.  Here is a presentation that
needs polishing on such a thing.

http://gnue.org/~dneighbors/datawarehouse/

It reflects some of the GLR issues you have.  It is designed to handle
data from a myriad of systems for common information at a high level in
the organization.

> 3. the memory array GL is a reasonable approach to a GLR component of
> GNUE, achieving sufficient reliability, and providing many benefits
> since it can be run without GNUE.  It does not impede the scalability
> or efficiency of GNUE since it accepts streams from memory which
> could originate from detail or summary queries from GNUE RDBMS.

Any data store could be used outside GNUe.  I think OLAP is much better
for this than memory arrays.  As OLAP in a way is better laid out memory
arrays. :)  However similar results can be achieved in good relational
structures. (read outside the transactional system)

Please read todays irc log we discussed in great detail, oddly enough
before this disucssion came up. :)  I have been doing this at my real job
for last several months.  Informational data stores with OLAP. :)

However, GNUe needs a transactional system before it can have a
Informational system. :)  So I havent brought up too much yet.

 > GNUE ane FERMSmembers: please email me privately if you want me
> to shut up and go away, or my emails are too long, etc.!  So far,
> nobody has ever said that yet  :-)

My only complaint is you encapsulate too much information in singular
mails which prevents people from replying on topics that are real and need
discussing.  Also stick to singular topics within an email.  I think you
will get much better results.

I like to hear your ideas as we dont often get an accountants perspective.
I also like that you are tenacious in defending your ideals.  However, the
format in which you do so needs polishing if you want people to listen.

I know I suffer from some of the same issues.  It comes with being
passionate about what you do.

Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnue.org