Re: short questions

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: Re: short questions
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:15:50 +0000

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:23:12PM -0800, Dirk Riehle wrote:
> - Why is GNUe a "meta-project". Is it more than a bundle of the three
> mentioned projects?

The "meta-" part relates really to the Community aspect, IMHO. As well as
the "official" GNUe Applications, anything else written using the GNUe
Tools can, in effect, tap into the resources of the wider GNUe Community.
This is why GNUe has a much wider scope than most other similar projects
(both free and proprietary) - they either focus on providing a toolkit,
or "shrink-wrapped" applications. GNUe aims to do both, and more!

> - I was surprised to see that no implementation work has been done on the
> actual packages. Am I mistaken or did you focus (almost exclusively) on the
> tooling/runtime so far?

I think that's a fair summary, yes. Whereas 2001 was really the year
that Forms reached maturity, 2002 has seen a similar process for the
new AppServer.

Although several people are now using Forms "in production" with
private applications they have written themselves,
the main GNUe Applications have always been intended
to use the Application Server (n-tier), and hence there has been
little impetus in this area so far. Having said that, I believe
there are plans to do some 2-tier (Forms talks directly to
database) applications as well on a faster timescale - not
sure how close these are to announcing yet.

--
Peter Sullivan <address@hidden>