Re: [GNUe] foreign key question

From: chafar
Subject: Re: [GNUe] foreign key question
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 20:33:43 +0200

Hello.

El mié, jun 09, a las 09:47:00 Reinhard Mueller escribía:
> Am Mit, den 09.06.2004 schrieb address@hidden um 9:35:
> > You have an org table that holds data from, say, customers and
> > providers and one of the fields is the name. Customer record has a field
> > that links to the correspondent org record, but you'd like org record
> > not to have a field saying if a customer record or a provider one is
> > actually linking to it.
> >
> > You have a customer form with a master(org) / detail(customer) link so
> > the data gets sync and the user just see a whole virtual record. If you
> > navigate with the focus at name field, you will obtain org records
> > belonging to customers as well as providers.
>
> If I understand you correctly now, the problem could be solved with
> making the customer the master and adding the org table as detail?

Hmmm... this will introduce the need of a unique id namespace for
customers and providers... or you still need a type field in org record.
In addition, you would have to be able to define an org field pointing
to customer|provider as foreign key from customer table OR provider
table, depending of type field.

greetings
--
José Esteban