Re: [gnugo-devel] NNGS games in regression/games/nngs

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] NNGS games in regression/games/nngs
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 19:13:51 +0100

Trevor wrote:
> It would be nice if all appropriate NNGS games were copied
> into regression/games/nngs/opponent##.sgf
>
> This would make it easy (for me at least) to comment the game
> records, run sgf2tst on the commented game, and copy the test cases
> into a master .tst file.

Sure, I could do this.

> Hopefully the games could have shorter names than their canonical
> NNGS names.  As hinted at above, something like OPPONENT03.sgf
> for the third interesting game against OPPONENT.

Looks fine.

> I would also like to see the current level of play noted at each
> move (at least if the level is not 10), rather than just when it
> changes.  It would make it much easier to know which moves were
> time-constrained, and should not be regressed upon.

Spontaneously I don't like to have redundant comments everywhere in
the file, although I can see the use of having it like that too.

A more serious problem with the level information, however, is that it
doesn't survive adjournments. For various technical reasons a new game
record is generated every time a game is restarted. It would in
principle be possible to carry the depth information over from the
previous game record, but this is not trivial to do robustly and
I don't plan to try to implement this anytime soon.

/Gunnar