Re: [gnugo-devel] twogtp_1_32.1

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] twogtp_1_32.1
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:49:50 +0200

Dan wrote:
> If you use -r to specify random seeds you should get the
> same game whether running twogtp or gmp via CGoban. You don't.

This should be fixed by my patch.

> Intergame effects are obviously undesirable. Do they exist?

We don't know that but we certainly have had such phenomena. But
whether they exist currently is not critical. The point is that we may
introduce ones in the future and then we want to have some methodology
the reproduce them.

> Persistent cache effects in this particular context should
> be rare to nonexistent since the position at the end of the
> previous game does not resemble the position at the
> beginning of the new game.

If the persistent cache works correctly it shouldn't have any effect
in this context, but there could of course be bugs.

> Hopefully this will work. I am revising the patch and will
> try to use this approach.

I'm confident it does.

/Gunnar