Re: [gnugo-devel] More Handtalk games

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] More Handtalk games
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:23:02 -0700

Jessie wrote:

> One dreadful bad move by Gnugo was move 24 in game 21.

This move is considered in the first place because it
is matched by a pattern CB101 in patterns.db:

Pattern CB101

O.....?   extend
?...*.?
?.....?
???????

:8,OE,shape(-1),jump_out_far_helper

It gets valued 17.27 points. The high rating is a function
of the influence code, which was changed after 3.0 to
Arend Bayer's scheme which makes GNU Go much more aggressive
about making and reducing moyos. It probably is really worth
17 points but other moves are under valued. If W wants to
play in this area capping at K15 would be better.

> I really need to learn how to analyze these moves so
> that I understand what GnuGO was thinking.

To find out GNU Go's thinking load the game file with
the option -t. There are other ways of getting more
detailed information described in the documentation.
('make gnugo.ps' in doc/ to get a postscript file.)

Dan