Re: [gnugo-devel] A GNUGO program with Windows GUI

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] A GNUGO program with Windows GUI
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:15:44 +0200

Maybe this is one of the grey areas. If I read the description correctly,
there is one change to gnugo to make it a dll, and then a separate
front end uses the dll.

The question is, is a front end using gnugo as a dll more integrated than a front
end using gnugo via gmp or gtp ?

Yes, and especially so from a GPL point of view.

Eg could get round the restriction by making a replacement dll which does
speaks to gnugo via gtp, and the front end is none-the-wiser.

Yes, but I don't see why this would be of any interest in that case. If you make your front-end gtp or gmp compatible, it should be able to work unmodified with a variety of go engines.

Marco Scheurer
Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland    http://www.sente.ch