Re: [gnugo-devel] gGo is no more free software :-(

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gGo is no more free software :-(
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 07:25:25 -0800

> Hi there!
>
> Sad news here:
>
> gGo went closed-source. See the License session in the FAQ:
>
> http://panda-igs.joyjoy.net/java/gGo/faq/index.html
>
> What a pity.

We're aware that the version of gGo distributed by IGS is
closed source and indeed we do not link to it.

My understanding is that tweet asked Peter Strempel to make
gGo closed source in exchange for making it available on
IGS. He gave a reason, claiming that people were modifying gGo
to cheat on the clock. (IGS allows the client to keep the
clock to compensate for netlag, which opens the possibility of
cheating.)

It has been observed that this reason does not entirely
make sense.

> So maybe it's time to remove the links to gGo.
> In fact those leat to Sourceforge, where an old version
> of gGo is still available. It's still Free Software, but it's
> obsolate...

The old code as Sourceforge is GPL, which is why I keep
that link. Someone could fork it, or Peter might reconsider
the situation.

Dan