Re: [gnugo-devel] gGo is no more free software :-(

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gGo is no more free software :-(
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:53:27 -0800

> I don't think we should be discussing license issues of other projects
> here. But as it happened I would like to say a few words.
>
> - gGo, apart from being an excellent IGS client, is IMO the best GNU Go
>   client we have. (E.g. it is the only one that can resume aborted games
>   against GNU Go, a common FAQ issue about other clients. Etc.) I am really
>   grateful Peter Strempel has done this. Especially as our attention
>   towards UI issues is a bit limited due to focussing on improving the
>   engine itself.
>   Probably gGo is the best thing that happened for GNU Go's users last
>   year.
>
> - Of course we aren't exactly happy that it has become closed source for
>   now. But I assume I can speak for everyone hear that we respect
>   Peter's decision, whatever his reasons were.
>
> In particular, I'd not hope that the impression remains we would be
> upset about Peter now.

My original post contained one piece of wrong information,
about how gGo came to be at IGS. I have to retract this and
apologize for it.

Our immediate interest in the matter is limited to the following.

At gnugo.html there is a fairly complete list of free software
pertaining to the game of Go. We do not link to non-free software.
In fact by wishes of RMS there are NO links to non-free software
in all of www.gnu.org.

I received a request in a post to this list that I remove the link
to gGo because it is ``not free software.'' But the Sourceforge
gGo sources are still GPL'd and we maintain this link.

Dan