Re: [gnugo-devel] Using GNU Go as annotator

From: DervishD
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Using GNU Go as annotator
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:29:57 +0100

    Hi Daniel :)

    Thanks for answering :)

 address@hidden dixit:
> >     It is possible to use GNU Go as annotator? I mean, I would like
> What do mean by annotation, and what client do you use? Also,
> what version of GNU Go are you using?

    By annotation (obviously not the correct word, I'm afraid) I mean
entering the moves for two human players so I can:

    - Have the board for every position, together with worms,
dragons, approximate area for each color, etc... GNU Go is the best
for this, I think. At least, is my first choice without doubt.

    - Be able to generate a preliminar SGF that afterwards is
completed with comments, etc... by hand.

> gnugo -l [old sgf file] --replay [color] -o [new sgf file]
> Perhaps this is what you want.

    Not exactly :( What I want is to be able to enter moves for both
sides without having to give 'back' commands, that is, telling GNU Go
that both sides are humans and that it must not play, just get the
moves and generate the board, the worms info, the dragons info, maybe
perform analysis of given moves, scoring them (this is asking for
much, I think ;)).

    Now what I do is using the 'back' command for undoing the last
move and afterwards I clean and comment the SGF if needed. I don't
need the 'clean' SGF always. Most of the time I use GNU Go for
showing the board and things like that during a human vs. human game,
for seeing what the computer would have moved, if the human move was
between the moves considered by the program, etc... and that can be
done just by issuing 'back' commands whenever necessary ;)

    Thanks again for your answer :)

    Raúl