Re: [gnugo-devel] two stone games

From: Stéphane Nicolet
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] two stone games
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:02:09 +0200

It's also rather hard to make sense of what it's doing. I don't think
that Arend's comments are enough explanation.
[..]
On the regressions the time penalty of the breakin code seems
to be about 10%. In games it seems to be more than 25%. I think
if this expensive code is to be enabled by default we need to
understand it.
Dan

I wonder if we could use an alphabeta-like idea to speed up that code.
The idea is that, fondamentaly, it works by reducing the opponent's
territory step by step, so this is the first place in gnugo where we
explore a reading reading while having have a clear valuation (or
should we call it a pay-off?) along the paths.

So it would be really nice and faster if we could prune some variations
with alphabeta ideas, like : "ah, I have already proven that I can
reduce that territory by 10 points in that old variation, but now
my opponent claims it can prevent me from getting more than 4 here,
so I can cut some work here"

Does it seems ridiculous ?

Stephane