[gnugo-devel] (no subject)

From: Smith, Christopher
Subject: [gnugo-devel] (no subject)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:09:19 -0500

Hello, I am going to begin work on my honors thesis for university and was
thinking to "Develop software to encourage and facilitate the advancement of
Computer Go."  I was wondering what everyone thinks that Computer Go needs in
order to advance.  (By advance I mean for computer Go programs to become
stronger.)

Some ideas that I had came up were tools to automate testing and strength
evaluation of a Go program. (Just like GnuGo's testing suite but at the end get
a score based on EndGame, Opening, Life/Death, etc.  To quickly diagnose where
a program could use improvement.)  Also, I think maybe some foundational
algorithms to determine life/death of a group, score a game, and perhaps
endgame analysis would be nice.

Overall the work done by GnuGo has be outstanding in terms of having a solid
computer Go engine available for people to use, however I am looking towards
academic type work to further computer Go as a whole.  I would appreciate any
feedback you can offer.  Thanks!

-Chris Smith