Re: [gnugo-devel] (no subject)

From: SP LEE
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:45:00 -0700

Hello, I am going to begin work on my honors thesis for university and was thinking to "Develop software to encourage and facilitate the advancement of Computer Go." I was wondering what everyone thinks that Computer Go needs in order to advance. (By advance I mean for computer Go programs to become stronger.)

Some ideas that I had came up were tools to automate testing and strength evaluation of a Go program. (Just like GnuGo's testing suite but at the end get a score based on EndGame, Opening, Life/Death, etc. To quickly diagnose where a program could use improvement.) Also, I think maybe some foundational algorithms to determine life/death of a group, score a game, and perhaps endgame analysis would be nice.

Overall the work done by GnuGo has be outstanding in terms of having a solid computer Go engine available for people to use, however I am looking towards academic type work to further computer Go as a whole. I would appreciate any feedback you can offer. Thanks!

-Chris Smith

Hi,

Personally, I'm wondering how well the computer will do if the board is small enough (smaller than 9x9) for the computer to consider most of move variations with minimum heuristics.

SP Lee