Re: [gnugo-devel] Attack and defense points for worms

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Attack and defense points for worms
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:57:00 +0200

Inge wrote:
> There is always a chance. I have long wanted to learn to program for
> Qt/KDE and this might be a good time to do it. The question is only:
> will people use it? I have the feeling that most of the other
> developers are using GNOME more than KDE, and to put a lot of work
> into it and then nobody uses it doesn't feel very rewarding.

I suppose most Linux distributions ship both qt and gtk, so there
either of them should be fine. On other unix varieties I have a
feeling that gtk may be more frequently installed. No idea about the
situation on windows. Adding dependencies on either gnome or kde
doesn't seem like a good idea.

> I would like to get some input from you developers: What kind of
> graphical debug tool do you want

Normally I debug/tune using a shell window in emacs. This makes it at
least reasonably easy to browse through the traces and search for
specific strings or moves. So basically I want something that gives
quicker access to the relevant information.

One thing that definitely would be more accessible in a graphical
debug tool is information like territorial effects of a move, e.g.
    M9:   - L10 territory change 1.00 (-0.00 -> 1.00)
    M9:   - J9 territory change 0.05 (-0.50 -> -0.45)
    M9:   - L8 territory change 0.89 (-1.00 -> -0.11)
    M9:   - M8 territory change 1.00 (-1.00 -> -0.00)
Having these numbers printed on a board would be very convenient.

Another thing that would be even more valuable to get on a graphical
board is the various influence maps themselves. Current debug output
(-m flag) is very inconvenient.

> and what environment are you using?

Primarily Debian with KDE.

> What about a simple toolkit like FLTK?

Anything that does the work and is reasonably accessible is fine with
me.

> Ok. Shouldn't be to difficult to fix. I wonder how much this bug
> really matters.

My guess would be that it has no effects at all on the move
generation.

/Gunnar