Re: [gnugo-devel] pattern proposal [was]Twogtp test replay result

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] pattern proposal [was]Twogtp test replay result
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:35:00 +0200

max-d wrote:
> GNUGo is so well structured and has tons of available functions
> that it is a bit difficult to learn about all of these combinations .

I wouldn't say it is "so well" structured.  It's a decent code, but
not every part of it is clean, to my taste.

> One thing maybe is missing :
> dynamic link of a pattern text file ...
> When invoked Gnugo should read such a file say "pattern.add" if exits and
> incorporates it .
> This should avoid to have to re-make the executable every time to test
> a new pattern .
> This should be very useful for windows - non Cygwin users  .

This is possible but would require lots of work.  You are free to try,
but I doubt someone else is interested in such a project.  The main
problem I can predict is that GNU Go has quite a few different pattern
databases, like "normal", DFA or "corner".  Another problem is that
code in `mkpat.c' is written in such a (bad) way that no reusage seems
possible.

But in general, why would it be useful for "windows - non Cygwin" users?
Is compilation time very long, or something?

Paul