[gnugo-devel] Re: Fwd: gtp time report ?

From: alain Baeckeroot
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: Fwd: gtp time report ?
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:54:10 +0100

Le Vendredi 3 Mars 2006 04:16, Don Dailey a écrit :

> The cgos server does not try to account for network time lag in any way.
> I considered "trivial" solutions like always giving a fraction of a
> second for free after every move (something I may do) but that doesn't
> solve the real problem - unpredictable network lag time.   But it does
> try to give the engine the benefit of the doubt.
>
> What do other servers such as KGS do about this?
I don't know. It reports the time also, and i see the same small drift.

> By the way, the client does know anything about time.  The server
> sends the reports to the client and the client simply forwards these
> reports to the engine.
I suppose i must dig into gnugo to see what it does ! It seems that
gnugo/twinbot does not use this info, but instead use an internal timing (i
see no other possible explaination, but i can be wrong again)

> Any solution involving the client is wide
> open to cheating of course - especially so with a simple tcl client
> which anyone can hack.
I agree. I think this is why gnugo seems to use internal timing. It might need
a "trusted-gtp-time-report" if this does not exist.

- Alain