Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: [computer-go] 12th KGS online computer Go tournam

From: alain Baeckeroot
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: [computer-go] 12th KGS online computer Go tournament
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:57:12 +0100

Hello David

Le Vendredi 3 Mars 2006 17:54, David G Doshay a écrit :
> Hello Arend,
>
> It surely is our plan to release the code. While I understand your
> comment that need to cleanup the code should not be an excuse,
> in my own defense I will ask: have you recently looked at student
> written code? Some of it is unbelievably poor.

If i may say : don't be afraid. My proposed experimental patch falls in this
category (http://trac.gnugo.org/gnugo/ticket/104).

It is my very first C code, only cut and paste code in gnugo, and put ugly
globals vars to access some data (=very bad design), with some known bugs ...
The only clean things in my code are:
- indentation is 8 chars (i know it is a bad troll ;-)
- i put comments everywhere, to avoid being lost.
- now it is only 50% slower than gnugo, just by avoiding doing twice
"examine_position", whereas the first version was 100% slower!

I read tonight your description of SlugGo on senseis.net, and discovered that
my patch is based on the same go proverb : opponent good move is (often) my
good move. So i m very curious too see how SlugGo is, and hope to learn a lot
from it.

Cheers
- Alain