Re: [gnugo-devel] Quarry

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Quarry
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 16:49:48 +0200

Daniel Bump wrote:
> > I don't mind though will it be really maintained?  Is anyone willing
> > to actually take it?
>
> I don't know the answer to this.

I don't see much advantage in assignign copyright to FSF if the
program is not going to be maintained and improved.

> But the code looks maintainable, which is a start!
> Moreover, it is a very useful piece of software.

It will not become more useful if no-one takes it over, regardless of
who is the copyright holder though.

> Would you be interested in being the principal maintainer
> if you had more help?

No.

> > That's true, I don't think I will regain intereset in the project.
> > For post-0.2 I planned to migrate to C++ for engine and Python for
> > GUI, but never released changes I made.  Might share if anyone is
> > really interested.  However, that is a huge refactoring and will only
> > help if anyone is really interested in finishing it.
>
> What is the motivation for these changes? Especially, what were
> your plans for the GUI?

Writing GUI stuff was just too difficult in C and I also became an
adept of OO programming lately.  However, development never really
reached fully functional state after the rewrite, so it is pointless
unless anyone is going to really finish it.

Paul