Re: [gnugo-devel] Patches for 3.8

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patches for 3.8
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:50:19 +0100

Daniel Bump wrote:
>> The important question is whether the CMake build actually does work
>> with Visual Studio. Has anyone tested that? There are instructions
>> under item (E) of the WINDOWS file.
>
> The fact that they were (oops) not actually in the 3.7.12 tarball (discovered > yesterday) makes it less likely that they have been tested, unless someone
> checked them out of CVS. If CMake is a true cross-compiler it is possible
> these files can be generated on GNU/Linux. They would still have to be
> tested on Windows.

CMake is doing some configure style tests, so it needs to run the
actual compiler on the target platform. The CMake I have installed
(Debian unstable) can generate Unix makefiles, KDevelop3 project
files, Eclipse project files, and Codeblocks project files. The last
time I looked I don't think the last two were there.

For the record, to test CMake builds of the latest tarball on Linux
you can do the following:

wget http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/gnugo/gnugo-3.7.12b.tar.gz
tar xvfz gnugo-3.7.12b.tar.gz
mkdir build_makefiles
mkdir build_kdevelop3
mkdir build_eclipse
mkdir build_codeblocks
cd build_makefiles
cmake ..
make
cd ../build_kdevelop3
cmake .. -G KDevelop3
kdevelop3
[Choose Build->Build Project from menu, then exit]
cd ../build_eclipse
cmake .. -G 'Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles'
[Run eclipse and build, didn't figure it out quickly how to do it.]
cd ../build_codeblocks
cmake .. -G "CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles"
[Didn't try it, CodeBlocks not available as Debian package.]

Of course you only need to choose one way to build it, this is just
for illustration, and you can build directly in the source tree if you
like.

For windows project files the actual VC compiler is presumedly
available as a free download but from what I could find on the net the
install doesn't work on wine, although the compiler might work if the
files are transferred from an install on a windows box. (Which may or
may not be allowed by the licence.) If that works maybe a cmake build
on wine could be used to produce .dsp files.

/Gunnar