Re: [gnugo-devel] Q. re Linux compatibility

From: Clark B. Wierda
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Q. re Linux compatibility
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 13:34:13 -0500

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Marty Feldman <address@hidden> wrote:
I would like to find out if Gnugo will install directly, without complications, on my computer.   I am an advanced beginner at Go but even more of a beginner when it comes to computer tech.  I have a desktop computer, running Linux Mint v. 17  ('Rosa', 64 bit) and Firefox v. 43.  Both are the current versions.  I would like to not have to get involved with emulators, compilers, special installers, binaries, and so on, and would need installation directions that are expressed in simple, non-jargon-y steps.  I do realize that this may be a rather naive request, but I would appreciate learning if what I want is possible, and would be grateful for your reply.
Thanks,
                                                         -Marty, in Owl's Head, Maine-

Which desktop are you using?  (Shouldn't matter, but might help with the instructions.)

There are packages that can be used to make this easier.

Are you looking to use a graphical application with Gnugo as the engine, or do just need Gnugo itself?

If you have such an application, which one is it?

Do you have Java installed?  (Mostly to help with details of the instructions.)

Regards,
Clark Wierda