Re: [Gnumed-devel] /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf and 2008-08-27 log

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf and 2008-08-27 log
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:07:37 -0700

On 5-Sep-08, at 2:45 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 07:41:00PM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

I might be wrong but in the past there was a time when packagers renamed that
file. For rpm packages I do:

cp client/connectors/gm_ctl_client.conf \
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/gnumed/gm_ctl_client.conf

cp client/doc/gnumed.conf.example $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/gnumed/ gnumed.conf
cp client/doc/gnumed-client.conf.example \
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/gnumed/gnumed-client.conf

Is  that correct ?

yep

#1 and #2 and #3 are clarifications that may let me improve documentation.

#4 questions if a config file needs to be better named and suggests that the default packaged releases offer only to connect to the public db whereas the Live CDs could offer both profiles with a preference to local

#5, 6 questions bugs in the profiles and/or the client functioning

==============
1. when running from a tarball (or from cvs) there is no gnumed.conf nor any gnumed-client.conf to be found, only

        gm-from-cvs.conf (which is invoked -- referenced -- by gm-from-cvs.sh)

and otherwise there exists only

        /doc/gnumed.conf.example

==============
2. releases packaging is supposed to copy

        gnumed/client/doc/gnumed.conf.example
        /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf
        /etc/gnumed/gnumed-client.conf

** but ** my 0.2.8.10x did not contain gnumed-client.conf and the pair seem redundant...
------> Is it intended that we use gnumed-client going forward (0.3.x)
------> is it intended that gnumed.conf becomes deprecated after 0.2.8.10x?

==============

3. gm-from-cvs.conf file contains profile that provide a choice among multiple databases (public and local db) similar to the /etc/gnumed/ gnumed.conf file in 0.2.8.10x however:

i) how did
        etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf
inherit such profiles if it is a copy of gnumed.conf.example which has no profiles?

ii) what is the origin of another file found in /etc/gnumed
        gnumed-public.conf

==============

4. if the intent going forward is to include in .config filenames - client and -server to reduce ambiguity I suggest that in 0.3.2 or 0.3.3 we may as well redefine the filename
        gnumed-public.conf to gnumed-client-public.conf

I suggest an approach where a package would by default offer only the public database because it only makes sense to offer a local database *after* somebody created one, and the person who would do *that* could be the resource to people who figured out only how to connect to public db without a clue how to create and configure a local db

(the approach for Live CD packaging can be different because a local db would exist and I suspect would be more responsive than public db)

5. when I first ran GNUmed I had no option to connect to (nonexistent) local db, only the option to connect to the public db. I did not mind so much, since I had no local db anyway, but I thought it funny that the client should know this. After database creation, the client offered me still only the public db which I fixed by copying into ~/.gnumed/ from /etc/gnumed/ however now that I look at
        gnumed-conf.gmCfg.bak

If the above preserves a copy of the original ~./.gnumed/gnumed.conf, despite that it contains a preference for
        profile = local GNUmed database
it contains no profile for local db and only for public

6. when I delete ~./.gnumed/gnumed.conf I can still start the client, presumably because it is looking at /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf however despite the /etc/ file I was not offered a choice of databases (public and local) but only public.

When I alter /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf to reverse the order of the profiles (putting local above public) then in the client I am offered a choice of public or local (yet public remains at the top) and this is true whether or not I have an identical copy of this .config in ~/.gnumed

If I copy this file into ~./ and delete from /etc/gnumed/ then the client will not run thus it does need a config in /etc/ even if there is one in ~/.gnumed/?