Re: [Gnumed-devel] Estimated age

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Estimated age
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:23:48 +0000

On 2012-01-20, at 4:32 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 08:30:39PM +1100, Liz wrote:
>
>> In places where a small number of people don't know their dob, we
>> customarily use 1st January.
>> Where a large number of people are involved, they use 1st January and
>> 1st July.
>
> That would have been the idea: set the dob to whatever is
> estimated and mark .is_estimated as appropriate.

So we are then talking the single, already-existing date of birth field which simplifies calculations. In absence of a known-with-certainty date, the GNUmed client GUI would require the entry of an *actual* date like what Liz suggests

        January 1
        (July 1 in the case of an infant when this is closer to estimated true date)

This means users won't be able to simply input (for example) an age in years. If patient says "I am 68" or "I was born in 1944 but we don't know my birthdate for sureā€¦ we always called it January 31" then what could be entered is

        1944 January 31 (if that was the estimate that was provided)

else

        1944 January 1

but not

        1944

nor

        68

and the screen would involve no 'second' date field, only an information "context modifier" field:

        [ x ] estimated.

Such estimated nature would be nice, if manageable, to be able to be shown in the top section of the GUI.

See screenshot.

-- Jim