Re: [Gnumed-devel] Display of right-arrow next to Date of Birth in clien

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Display of right-arrow next to Date of Birth in client
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 19:33:36 +0000

Ah, I see.

The arrows serve the function of communicating time leading up to (or
following) a birthday, and by extension whether or not the person has already
had, or remains to have, their birthday during the current calendar year as
sometimes affects eligibility for school or retirement.

I found single, directionally-pointing arrows, in some instances to the left
and in other instances to the right, of a date of birth quite confusing.

In this context, they have no intrinsic meaning.

A right-arrow of a live patient, next to a date of birth, could as easily
intend to communicate in the case of live patient that "the patient's age is
growing".

A left-arrow to the right of the date of birth could mean "there is something
questionable or wrong about that birthdate" or "the age shown as right is based
upon the birthdate shown at left".

My suggestions are therefore:

1) If the purpose of the arrow was to help communicate whether or not the
patient has yet to have their birthday within the current calendar year, then
incorporate this into the displayed

        (age)

for example a patient whose birthday was January 3, 1931 is currently (83 y 1
m) while Spock, whose birthday is not until March 25th, is currently (82y 10m)
however both will, by the end of this year, have had their 83rd birthday.
Accordingly these could be shown as

        (83y 1m [83])

        (82y 10m [83])

meaning both "have their 83rd birthday this year".

2) Collapse the use of the currently-ambiguous right *or* left arrows by using
the pair of arrows together, thusly

                → 07 Feb 1957 ←

to make clearer that attention is being focussed on the date itself and show
this only during the birthday-signalling interval of interest. as set in the
GUI "birthday preference" … I do not personally care to have visually-indicated
to me, today February 7th, that Spock's birthday of March 25th is "in the
future" or that someone whose birthday was January 2nd already had theirs.

-- Jim